I Can't Believe I Forgot About Craigslist

Regular readers of the blog know that I've written posts about countless ways to market your indie titles. I've written about social media and finding book bloggers, trading reviews and using forums. And today, while doing my regular online chores, I saw something that managed to catch even me by surprise: an ad on Craigslist.


No, Not Literally

No, I haven't been living under a rock and yes, I've been well aware of Craigslist for many years now. I used it once during a brief stint where I played editor and had to hire a couple of freelance writers. I tried using it to find a cover designer for Justice, which didn't work out too well. But I never even considered using it to get reviews...until I saw someone else doing it first.


I can't believe I forgot about Craigslist when it comes to book promotion! But once I started thinking about it, I started coming up with ideas.


  •  Reviews: Obviously this one isn't mine, it's that guy I found looking for reviews. But I say why not? Remember, however, that usually people who post job offers on Craigslist provide compensation. Make it very clear what you're providing people who review your work. The ad I found was offering a free review copy, which is pretty standard. Paying for reviews gets pretty dicey anyway, and I usually caution authors to avoid it.
  • Ad Space: Make your own banner, moving gif, or whatever, and offer to pay people for ad space on their website or blog. Better yet, trade them space on your own website or blog. Before you give anyone any money or any of your time, however, find out how many visitors they're getting to their site a day (to make sure it's worth your effort).
  • Giveaways and Guest Posts: Well, why not? Use Craigslist to offer free giveaways and guests posts to bloggers who get a certain number of visitors a day. If no one responds, it's no loss. If even one person responds, awesome. 

Craigslist can be used to sell old stuff, meet new people, find great deals...and apparently, promote indie books. Posting ads to Craigslist is totally free, so it can't hurt to try. And who knows? Maybe you'll remember something about marketing that can help you sell more books as a result!

[+/-] Show Full Post...

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for letting me express my feelings about your post. You write every blog post so well. Keep the hard work going and good luck. Hope to see such a beneficial post ahead too.Thanks again for sharing this with us and stay blessed

    ReplyDelete