Writing 101: Time Tables, Schedules and Losing Sleep

In researching this post (that's a euphemism for checking to see if I've already written a topic), I learned that I've written a lot about time. I'm qualified to write about time, because I've gone to war with it so very often. But here's the end of the story: I always lose. As an indie author, you're going to face your own troubles when it comes to time tables, schedules...and losing sleep. Battle if you will...but like me, you'll lose.


Up All Night

I come across a lot of writing tips where authors say don't do this and don't do that. If you're independently wealthy, it's all well and good to say write when you're inspired and comfortable and well-rested. But if you're like me, that isn't going to happen often.



I wake up and exercise every day, and not just a little either -- a lot. It's at least an hour a day, and usually 90 minutes. But I only do that after I've made up the bed, folded and put away the laundry and had my breakfast. After I work out I've got to bathe, and after I've done that I have to dress and get myself ready the day. I clean up a bit, because I am not fortunate enough to have my own maid, and then eat lunch. By the time I get down to work every afternoon, I've already had a full day. I'm already tired. Then I work all afternoon and through the night.

Then, maybe, I'll have some time to write. So yes, wouldn't it be lovely if we could all be firing on all cylinders when we're writing? But that's not going to be the case most of the time. You may have kids yelling in your ear or aching feet from another hard shift at the hospital. You may be hungry, because the only time you have to write is before dinner and you're always starving before dinner.

It's always going to be something. And you're always going to have to find a way to work around it, and work with what you've got, so that you can write anyway. Being an indie author isn't about writing the right way all the time, or on the right schedule. It's about writing anyway. As in, I'm exhausted because I've been exercising and cleaning and working all day, but I'm writing anyway

You're going to battle with time tables and schedules. You're going to be losing sleep, because that's what it's like to be an indie author. But if you get the book done anyway and even one person says they like it, then you've won the war. You'll feel like you lose every battle...but you can still have those big victories along the way.

[+/-] Show Full Post...

0 comments:

Post a Comment