Writing 101: The FANBOYS Grammar Hack

I'd like to tell you about a grammar hack, For all writers can benefit from using tricks, And I like to talk about grammar. I'm not an expert, Nor am I a teacher, But I don't want to make mistakes. It's either make them, Or learn how to use grammar. Anyone can learn this, Yet many still get it wrong. Don't be one of them. It's time for you to learn how to use the FANBOYS, So you can always get it right.


Let's Hear it for the Boys

FANBOYS are a group of coordinating conjunctions. They're special because they all follow the same grammar rule. Do you know what it is? Read the first paragraph again to see if you can figure it out. 



The FANBOYS almost always come into a sentence after a comma. All of these words link clauses together. They bring together two separate thoughts, if you will. 

She worked hard, For she knew the value of earning her keep. I looked for him, And I even talked to his sister. He couldn't find them in the dell, Nor in the hills. I thought it looked sort of backward, But it sounded okay. Either we can eat the potatoes here, Or we can eat them in the field. I'm compelled to use commas the right way, Yet I must remember the rules. Do you understand commas now, So you can use them the right way all the time?

[+/-] Show Full Post...

0 comments:

Post a Comment