Writing 101: Don't Try to Do Everything

As an indie author, you will spend most of your time doing things other than writing. It sounds strange, but it's true. You will spend more time editing the book than writing it, and more time promoting it than you even want to think about. But don't try to do everything. Don't try to be on every site or promote every book on the same day. If you do, you'll find you don't have time to do anything else.


Burning Both Ends

How many times have you logged into Twitter or Facebook to check out one thing, and suddenly an hour has passed? Social media is time-consuming, just like book marketing. That's why you have to focus your marketing, because you just don't have time to do it all. 


I don't do a lot of stuff on Facebook, because I do tweet a lot on Twitter. Instead, I link my blog post to Facebook and Google+ once a day. The bulk of my social media marketing is focused on Twitter, because that's where the bulk of my audience is. I'm a YA author, so Twitter puts me in touch with my readers. If you know your audience, you can focus on finding the best places to reach them. 

If you're an indie author, chances are that you've already got a job. So you already have to squeeze your self-publishing life in around the fringes. That means you haven't got time for a ton of social media and blogging and forums. I check my forums just once a week because it's too time-consuming otherwise. I blog four to six times a week, but not every single day. 

Don't try to do everything, because it's more likely you'll wind up getting nothing done if you push yourself too hard. Focus your efforts so you can apply your promotions to the markets that matter most. 

[+/-] Show Full Post...

0 comments:

Post a Comment